|If you are:
|Asked to evacuate
- Stay upstream, uphill, and upwind! In general, try to go at least one-half mile (usually 8-10 city blocks)
from the danger area. Do not walk into or touch any spilled liquids, airborne mists, or condensed solid
|In a motor vehicle
- Stop and seek shelter in a permanent building. If you must remain in your car, keep car windows and
vents closed and shut off the air conditioner and heater.
|Requested to stay indoors
- Close and lock all exterior doors and windows. Close vents, fireplace dampers, and as many interior
doors as possible.
- Turn off air conditioners and ventilation systems. In large buildings, set ventilation systems to 100
percent recirculation so that no outside air is drawn into the building. If this is not possible, ventilation
systems should be turned off.
- Go into the pre-selected shelter room. This room should be above ground and have the fewest openings
to the outside.
- Seal the room by covering each window, door, and vent using plastic sheeting and duct tape.
- Use material to fi ll cracks and holes in the room, such as those around pipes.